Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wholemeal Loaf made with Beer

A couple weeks ago my cousin sent me a link about beer bread and asked me if I am gonna try baking it… that got me interested! 
Beer… yes, the alcoholic beverage, is used in my latest attempt in making bread!
Beer in bread? Strange? Well, not at all! Beer and bread share a common creation process : use of yeast. 
So, what is wrong with beer in bread? Beer is created using yeast, bread needs yeast to develop… woo hoo… a perfect match!
Wow! The smell of the beer loaf is amazing! It has a very nice sweet aromatic aroma slightly different from a normal ( non-beer ) bread loaf. I am hoping that the bread would taste as good as it smells … oh! can't wait to try! ( the beer loaf is in the oven as I am drafting this… )




Mmmm… yumms! The beer loaf is tasty! 



I patiently waited for my beer loaf to be baked and "rested" before I had my first slice. Texture is nice, I made it with a slight crust - and center is soft. You definitely can't taste any of the alcohol - it has evaporated, but it has a hint of sweet taste when you bite into the bread - its not from the sugar - but more of the sweetness from the beer.  I am so liking this Wholemeal Beer Loaf! Definitely will make more of it! 



note : what does "rested" mean? Why do I say : "rested" before I had my first slice?  I always let all my home made breads rest for at least 30 mins before slicing. There are many school of thoughts about this and many divided reasons but I do adhere to this "resting" period as it makes sense to me. Breads are baked in a relatively hot oven @ 200°C. So when the bread is taken out, it is still very warm and the center of the bread is still very soft. When you leave it to rest and slowly cool to room temperature, it allows the bread some time to slightly firm up. This makes the bread easier to slice and believe it or not, makes the bread taste better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment